If you’re not a big coffee drinker, live alone, or just want a smaller, easier to manage coffee maker – a small French press is an excellent choice.
In Gathering Grounds Cafe’s selection of small French presses, you can choose from standard, insulated, and traveling ones. Regardless of what you choose, they will all be small and give you between 1 and 2 servings of coffee.
- If you are looking for an affordable French press, we suggest choosing a standard glass one.
- If you need an insulated French press, check out the stainless steel options as many of them provide high heat retention.
- If you want an on-the-go French press, take a look into the ones that also double as travel mugs.
Need a smaller french press for travel or for single serve purposes? Each pot listed below is on the small size measuring roughly 16-20 ounces or less. These make perfect companions to the larger 12-cup french press pots you pull out when guests come over.
To start lets look at the best on the market:
The Best Small Sized French Presses
These are not the cheapest french press coffee makers but for the size they are the best models by far.
Espro 18 Ounce Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel PressHere ate GGC we really love all the coffee presses made by Espro Press! They are great coffee makers across the board.
To boil them down to the basics their coffee presses will give you the cleanest cup free of sediment or “mud” as you’ve ever had from a french press, regardless of your chosen coffee grinder.
Every Espro Press is insulated too meaning your coffee will brew at a more stable temp giving you better coffee.
This is definitely worth checking out.
Frieling Polished Stainless French Press, 17-OunceFrieling is a close competitor to the Espro models. They have consistently made some of the best french press coffee over the years due to their insulation and patented filter screen.
Again, you will get a super clean cup out of this french press but we do love the ingenuity of Espro in creating a whole new way of pressing the grind out of your coffee.
This model is a bit cheaper than the Espro model so go for it if you don’t want to spend any more than you have to.
Bodum Chambord 4 Cup French Press Coffee Maker, 17-Ounce, ChromeBodum Chambord makes the perennial favorite Chambord french press which is one of the best selling french press pots in recent years.
This is a glass press (not insulated) so the price is a lot lower. It is the value play in the little french pot space. 🙂
The style is very similar to a lot of cheaper units featured below but the build quality is excellent and worth the small increase in price over the cheapest options available.
You can also see all of the best french press coffee makers here.
The Smallest Coffee Presses
These aren’t the best exactly but they are smaller than all the rest!
Bodum Chambord 3 cup French Press Coffee Maker, 12 oz., ChromeFrancois et Mimi Single Wall Borosilicate Glass French Coffee Press, Chrome Design (12oz)GROSCHE CHROME French Press Premium Coffee and Tea Maker (Small – 350 ml (12 oz))Bodum New Kenya 12-Ounce Coffee Press, Black
There are a number of other 12 ounce french presses for you to look at here.
The Cheapest Small French Press Coffee Makers
These are not the best models made nor are they necessarily the smallest but if price is your main concern these will not cost you very much at all!
Here Are a Few More Alternatives
These include some additioanl favorite small size coffee presses in glass, stainless, and french press mug styles.
Frieling 0103 Ultimo 23 Oz. Mirror Finish French PressBodum Insulated Stainless-Steel Travel French Press Coffee and Tea Mug, 0.45-Liter, 15-Ounce, BlackPlanetary Design Commuter Double-Shot Stainless Steel French Press Mug, Black
If you want to see more french press travel mugs click here.
- Our small French press coffee makers range in price from $10.00 to $90.00.
- These small options either come with handles designed for easy pouring and carrying, or are small enough to grip and carry in hand. All of them come with removable tops with attached plungers that allow for fast and efficient washing.
- All options come with a built-in, 3-piece filtering system, which means – no paper filter.
- For the material, you can select from glass, stainless or brushed steel, or BPA-free plastic.
Glass: glass provides transparency so you can see how much coffee you have, and it makes cleaning up easier. Glass is more likely to shatter than stainless steel or plastic, but they are heat resistant so you can pour extremely hot water in the carafe for coffee brewing.
Stainless or brushed steel: stainless steel or brushed steel provide better insulation (keeping beverages hot or cold longer) than other materials, and does not stain as easily. However, many of these coffee makers require hand washing, so please check the product description if you prefer it to be dishwasher safe.
Plastic: plastic insulated French press coffee makers are lightweight, designed to be shatter-resistant, and usually can go in a dishwasher; however, they may stain and scratch easier as opposed to stainless steel ones. If you’re worried about the type of plastic, make sure the coffee maker you’re buying is “BPA-free plastic.”
Additional Perks and Information
- Regardless of the style of small French press coffee maker you choose, all of these are easy to transport and clean – they also make an excellent gift!
- Just remember to use coarsely ground coffee when brewing with a French Press.
- If you want to use a French press coffee maker, but are looking for a larger size, our coffee maker page offers sizes that hold all the way up to 51oz of liquid.
- If you are looking for something small, that provides you with a single serving of coffee but don’t need a French press, our “Our Products” page lists other small travel mug and coffee maker options.