Wide bottom travel mugs are what we at Gathering Grounds Cafe have found to be the answer for those of you who want to feel like you’re at home when drinking coffee.
Wide bottom mugs are more like coffee pots – just smaller and lighter, so that makes them more portable! They’re ideal to keep at work as they all give you more than one warm cup of coffee. They also aren’t prone to being knocked over easily like some other narrower mugs.
Here are some wide base insulated mugs that we like. They may not fit in car cup-holders but they are great for dashboards and office workers.
Highwave MoJOEmoStainless Steel Thermal Insulated Chubby CupTwo 20oz. Foam Insulated Wide Body ThermoServ MugsHot Java Mugs Patterson Desk Mug, Blue FinishHighwave 18 oz Hotjo – OceanLow Rider No Tip Desk Mug – BlackStanley Stainless Steel Classic Mug (18 oz)Timolino 17 oz. @tanium II Vacuum Travel Mug
- Our wide bottom mugs generally range in price from $10.00 to $30.00.
- All wide-bottom mugs usually come with a detachable lid and handle. The lids are either flip up, or twist off. None of them come with detachable lids that can double as cups.
- They come in stoneware, foam-walled, stainless steel, plastic, or some combination of these specifically designed in order to not burn you.
Stainless steel: stainless steel mugs provide better insulation (keeping beverages hot or cold longer) than other materials, and do not stain as easily. Many of these mugs require hand washing.
Plastic: plastic mugs are definitely the easiest to throw into a dishwasher and microwave; however, they stain easier and may scratch as opposed to a stainless steel mug. If you’re worried about the type of plastic, make sure the mug you’re buying is “BPA-free plastic.” BPA-free plastic is also designed with resistance to withstand high impact.
Stoneware: stoneware mugs are dishwasher safe, microwavable, easy to clean by hand, and also look beautiful. It’s a unique style of mug that may be a little heavier than other mugs, but they last a long time.
Foam-walled: foam-walled, or insulated, mugs are designed to retain heat well and are also dishwasher-safe, unlike some stainless steel mugs.
Additional Perks and Information
- Wide bottom travel mugs vary in serving sizes, but generally range between 15oz and 22oz.
- In addition to being wide which helps with balance, a lot of them come with no-slip bases in order to not tip over.
For those of you that prefer to have a more portable travel mug than these, but one that will hold the same amount of coffee, the closest equivalents we have would be our 20oz coffee mugs. Our 20oz mugs are taller and more slender in shape, but will still keep your coffee warm and you won’t lose out on ounces. The main difference is that not all of the 20oz mugs come with a drinking handle.